IMMIGRATION and it's effects...
Because Emigration is falling while Immigration is increasing the UK's net migration is rising.
-Immigrants create jobs eg Polish food shops
-Is earning capacity the only way we measure an individual’s contribution to society?
-Less likely to claim state benefits
-Work harder because they have to
We are all immigrants originally
-Why should it be easier to marry someone from Poland than from Pakistan – Racist policy?
-Often take low skilled and low paid jobs that established population might not want eg cleaner
-Use medical resources
-Too many immigrants for jobs
-Councils have to find more housing etc
Some proposed plans for immigration:
- Limiting skilled workers's stay to 5 yrs would damage the UK economically - 50,000 fewer skilled migrants cost every person £44 extra over 5 years
- Fewer visas to students who are the largest group of non-EU migrants, but £8.5 billion is generated in fees
- Only Husbands or Wives earning £18,200 - a policy for the wealthy
- Increases understanding of other cultures
- Influx of new or revitalized providers of local services
- Growth in ethnic retailing eg Curry mile in Manchester
- Tend to take the less desirable jobs
- Fill the skills gap that exists in many host countries with qualified migrants
- Costs of retirement transferred back to the source country
- Host country gains skilled labour at reduced cost
- Entrenchment of attitudes which may lead to fundamentalism
- Groups of segregated ethnic groups are created and dominate local schools
- Male Dominance reasserted especially in countries where women have low status like the Persian Gulf States
- Racist attitudes which may lead to civil unrest and extremism
- aspects of cultural identity is lost especially amongst second generation migrants
- call for controls on immigration
- Cost of educating migrants children
- Much of the money goes back to the country of origin including pension payments
- Increased numbers of people puts pressure on resources like health services and education
- Some industries like construction over depend on migrant labour