have been developed by local councils and the environment agency, adopting a more holistic approach.
Coastal defence authorities can't carry out works without the aid of a shoreline management plan.
Tend to include:
- Hold the Line - maintain/upgrade the level of protection provided by the existing coastal defences
- Advance the line - Build new defences seaward of the existing defence line
- Managed Realignment - allow retreat of the shoreline inland with management to control or limit that movement
- No active Intervention - a decision not to invest in providing or maintaining defences
- Sea levels are predicted to continue to rise approx 6m a year because of global warming
- Areas of the UK continue to sink because of isostatic uplift, changing at the rate of 2mm a year
- The use of public money to defend the undefendable is unsustainable
- A 'do nothing' approach is often the only affordable way in the long term