TNCs: Phillip Morris International, China National Tobacco, Japan Tobacco International
(Not so fun) Facts:
- 5 trillion cigarettes are produced per year globally
- Tobacco is smoked by over 1 billion customers around the world every day
- Around 6 million people die globally each year from smoking
- Globally there are between 8,00 to 14,000 cigarettes produced every minute
China is the biggest market with 350 million smokers consuming 1800 billion cigarettes each year.
It accounts for 35% of the global market.
70% of chinese men smoke, but only 4% of women.
The industry in China is owned by the State.
The Chinese National Tobacco Company was worth $91.7 billion in 2010.
The Health Risks of Smoking:
- Heart attacks and strokes - Smokers are 5x more likely to have a heart attack than non smokers
- Cancer - Oral, throat, lung, cervical
- Other lung problems like Emphysema